Lia is a bright and talented attorney with almost a decade of experience servicing clients in the Hudson Valley, New York. She has focused her practice in the areas of business litigation and general corporate law, developing the unique ability to understand all aspects of complex commercial deals and disputes. She has significant additional experience in the areas of municipal law, health law, insurance defense and construction law, and has represented clients through all stages of litigation in New York state and federal courts.
Lia earned her Bachelor of Arts in Social Science from Hofstra University, graduating magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. She earned her Juris Doctor from Boston University School of Law, where she served as a Note Editor for the American Journal of Law and Medicine and President of the Women’s Law Association.
During her time at BU Law, Lia interned at the prestigious Boston Children’s Hospital where she studied under the Chief Counsel for Research Affairs. Her work focused on licensing and intellectual property considerations in the development of medical technology, and ethical concerns in the practice of genomic medicine.
Lia earned a Certificate in Women in Leadership from Cornell University and completed the 40-hour Commercial Mediation Training offered by the New York State Bar Association.
Lia has been named an Upstate New York Rising Star in the field of Business Litigation by SuperLawyers® for the years 2017-2020. She was previously selected as an Orange County Rising Star by Leadership Orange and the Junior League of Orange County in 2015 and was named Outstanding New Attorney by the Women’s Bar Association of Orange & Sullivan Counties in 2013.
Lia is active in her community. She serves on the Executive Committee of Vision Hudson Valley (formerly the Orange County Citizens Foundation), and is also a Co-Chair of its Diversity and Inclusion Taskforce. In addition, Lia serves on the Board of Directors of Leadership Orange and on her town’s Board of Assessment Review.
Lia is admitted to practice in New York and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York. She is a member of the New York State Bar Association, Orange County Bar Association, Women’s Bar Association of Orange & Sullivan Counties, and Westchester County Bar Association.
Lia resides in Orange County with her husband, Alex, and their two sons. She enjoys spending time with her family, gardening, and visiting farms and festivals throughout the Hudson Valley.
- Represented investors in a manufacturing company who were abruptly barred from accessing books, records and profits due; successfully negotiated the recovery of a majority of clients’ investment during discovery.
- Represented owner of national baseball training facility in an order to show cause seeking removal from ownership; successfully defended the same through argument and reduced initial exposure from potential removal to partial payment of taxes in pro rata share.
- Successfully enforced client’s employee non-solicitation agreement and achieved pre-discovery settlement, including amendment to extend term of non-solicitation period.
- Successfully defended motion to dismiss in United States District Court, Southern District in Manhattan, for client alleging theft of trade secret against former business manager in prominent cosmetic surgery practice.
- Successfully defended several clients in separate federal actions alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act for failure to comply in places of public accommodation, resulting in favorable settlements for landowner clients.
- Obtained temporary restraining order and injunction staying damages trial from Appellate Division, Second Department following oral argument following faulty liability verdict, upon trial court’s failure to include alternative theories of negligence on verdict sheet, likelihood of success on appeal and imminent harm to plaintiff in the absence of injunction.
- Successfully defended client on appeal from trial court order pertaining to maintenance of private roadway, on submission, to Appellate Division, Second Department.
- Successfully argued on behalf of Defendant-Respondent before the Appellate Division that claims asserted against it by Plaintiff-Appellant were barred by doctrines of res judicata and collateral estoppel; later defended Defendant-Respondent on adversary’s motion to the Court of Appeals for leave to appeal, winning motion on submission, with costs to Defendant-Respondent.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Successfully enforced client’s patent rights based on breach of licensing agreement, in arbitration through post-hearing motion submissions, including recovery of large portion of legal fees.
- Represented a shareholder in an arbitration pertaining to shareholder’s unlawful ejection from hotel enterprise and eight related entities, culminating in a favorable settlement to the shareholder valued in excess of $1.5million.
- Successfully obtained lift-stay orders and remands to arbitration in two separate and unrelated adversary proceedings in the United States Bankruptcy Court, mandating parties in each matter to resolve dispute through arbitration in accordance with underlying contract and Federal Arbitration Act.
- Filed dozens of mechanic’s liens for residential, commercial and condo projects, both and private and public improvements, for construction industry clients. Successfully obtained lien extensions through court applications in residential lien matters and defended liens in proceedings aimed to discharge the same based on alleged facial defects or failure to provide an itemized statement.
- Successfully dismissed lien foreclosure claim on behalf of project manager on basis that client was improperly named in foreclosure action as it was neither owner nor contractor in project for which lien was filed.
- Successfully brought lien foreclosure actions, with related claims for breach of contract, unjust enrichment and trust violation, for multiple construction company clients, each resulting in a favorable settlement.
Corporate, Healthcare & Intellectual Property Law
- Negotiated and drafted employment agreements, asset purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements, promissory notes, general releases, HIPAA business associate agreements, medical records custody agreements, professional services agreements, separation agreements, commercial leases and non-disclosure agreements.
- Counseled healthcare clients on state and federal Stark/anti-referral and Anti-kickback laws and regulations, including exceptions and safe harbors, False Claims Act, Civil Monetary Penalties Act and HIPAA, including required disclosures, permitted uses, self-reporting guidelines and potential penalties for inadvertent disclosure.
- Filed trademarks for multiple clients through the United States Patent and Trademark Office, including standard character marks and design marks, as well as required maintenance filings, on both in-use and intent-to-use bases.